Friday, October 24, 2008

Cleveland’s Favorite “Haunts”

Franklin Castle
With Halloween coming up, it makes me think of all the places in Cleveland that are reported to be haunted.

I’ve already written here before about what is probably Cleveland’s most famous haunted house, Franklin Castle, located on Franklin Boulevard at the intersection of West 44th Street. The Gothic-style house was built in 1865 for grocer and banking executive, Hannes Tiedemann and his wife Luise.

But, there are plenty of other places in Cleveland where “ghosts” supposedly reside, such as the Steamship William G. Mather, the USS COD, Grays Armory, Playhouse Square, Whiskey Island, Cleveland Police Museum, Lakeview Cemetery, and the Cleveland Museum of Natural History.

The Mather
Lakeview Cemetery seems like an obvious place for haunting, since it is, after all, a cemetery. At Grays Armory, there are reports of hearing footsteps when no one else was present, and seeing Civil War era apparitions. Franklin Castle has a history of mysterious deaths, reported murders, and strange noises and happenings. On Whiskey Island, there are reports of some ghosts at the Sunset Grille.

For me, since I live in a 1950’s home outside of Cleveland (in Lake County) where we’ve had quite a few unexplained happenings over the years (some rather scary to say the least), I have no desire to walk into any other haunted places. I may write out the story of my own home on one of my other blogs one of these days, but sometimes it rattles me just thinking about it. Thankfully, our house has been quiet and apparition free for several years…and I want to keep it that way!

If you are interested in seeing some of these places and hearing the full story behind the hauntings, a company called Haunted Cleveland provides tours, some private, for some of these locations.


Here’s a link to a short video from WKYC Channel 3 about “Haunted Cleveland”:
Haunted Cleveland

Whiskey Island Clip & Haunted Cleveland (Link), also from WKYC:
Whiskey Island Hauntings




Check out my blog home page for the latest Cleveland information, here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi again, thanks for the comments! Great haunted article here!

I used to live a few blocks down from Franklin Castle, and in fact, if someone plays the cards right...may be able to acquire that house and turn it into a B&B with the haunting theme kind of like the Myrtles Plantation in St. Francisville LA! It could even be featured on A&E!. I am surprised someone a little savvy with some cash to spare has not grabbed up this one and made it into a visitors center, B&B or something to that nature. It is a great solid house. Anyway, as I mentioned, I too am interested in seeing the positive side of things here, not that we should not criticize when needed, but man we get our share of that and a lot of it is unwarranted. I think the negative attitude by our own is Greater Cleveland’s worst enemy. Good thing to meet the many who know about all the good as well. I wrote about your blog on my site…Perhaps you would like to link with mine as well---because I have some interesting things about the area on mine as well! If so, get in touch…Just google ‘quality chatter’ or email me at riverlover33@yaho.com

Thanks,
Rob